domingo, 18 de maio de 2008

English and me


I started studying English when I was a child. My aunt Renée owns and runs an English school formely called Lollypop (now it's called Espaço Idiomas and she has a partner, French and Spanish teacher Ketty Nahoum). So Lollypop was my main reference in the adventure which is learning how to speak in a different language. It also helped that my two best friends, Silvia Wolff and Daniela Knijnik were eager students of English and I always felt I needed to know as much as them to be able to keep up with their chats in English.
But it was only in NYC that I had the chance to experience English full-time and on the daily basis.
When I arrived at the JFK airport in NYC on a cold February morning, I was 18 years old, excited and scared at the same time. I needed to get a taxi to take me to the heart of NYC, Manhattan. I'll never forget the feeling of speaking to the taxi driver, the cool winter air in my skin, the fear he was going to kidnap me!! Well, he didn't. He took me to Robert's House, my home for the next 6 months and charged me $50,00 (that I shall never forget!!!!!). My dad had given me a certain amount of money and I had put it inside my socks!!! Crazy things you do when you are 18!
I stepped out of the cab, walked towards the door bell and just with one ring, began my new life all by myself in the Big Apple, having the Empire State Building as my neighbor.
It's nice writing these lines and memories. That day is still very alive inside of me.....................

2 comentários:

Marcel Almeida disse...

Nice to see you writing here !

Etienne disse...

...And the 22th May 2005 (oh !!!! it's our meeting birthday :))... you made mistake in this universal language. Following 3 years of great and true friendship. But now... my dear Nanda... It's time to made a post in French :)
Bon Courage mon ami.
Beijos